For many yoga studio owners, creating an effective marketing plan is a daunting task. After all, yoga isn’t just about the poses and the breath – your mission is to help students quiet their minds through meditation, bring balance to their inner being and improve their connection to their own body and the world around them. “Selling ” these “services” may seem to be at odds with your goals as an owner and as a teacher.

However, the reality is that your studio needs students to survive – and without marketing, it’s very difficult to bring new students through your doors, let alone keep current students coming back. So, let’s explore some basic marketing techniques that can help any yoga studio thrive.

Develop a Yoga Marketing Plan

No matter how experienced you are as a studio owner, make sure you have a solid marketing plan to guide your efforts. Here are a few important items your marketing plan should address:

  • Target Audience: Who are your potential students and why are they coming to yoga? Knowing your audience will help you craft promotions and messages that resonate.
  • Business Goals: What are you hoping to achieve through your marketing efforts? Do you want to introduce new students to yoga? Fill low-attendance classes?
  • Channels: Where and how do you market your studio? On social media? Via email? These channels should align with your business goals so that your everyday marketing actions support your overall strategy.
  • Budget: How much time and money will you set aside to support your studio’s marketing efforts? Defining this investment upfront will help you from biting off more than you can chew

Refine Your Social Media Strategies

In 2017, users spent an average of 135 minutes per day on social media sites, surpassing time spent on personal email! This stat proves that marketing to your students (and potential students) on social networks is more important than ever.

Here are a few pointers for marketing yoga classes on social media:

  • Follow the 80/20 Rule: 80% of your posts should be engaging content not related to your studio, and the other 20% should be news, offers, events, and other studio-related updates.
  • Examine Your Social Media Mix: Do you need to change your channel mix and focus? For example, Instagram has more than 800 million active users. Are you spending enough time marketing through this channel?
  • Use Visuals: Visual marketing has really taken off with social networks like Instagram and YouTube. These channels are a great way for you to inspire your followers with photos or videos of your instructors practicing, or sharing what other amazing yogis are doing.

Use Targeted Emails to Boost Your Retention Efforts

Email marketing is one of the most effective channels to drive repeat business. But sending emails and having a solid email marketing strategy are not one and the same. Before sending emails to your existing students, here are a few items to optimize:

  • Email List: Consider the audience for each email you send and how you should segment your email list accordingly. For example, if you want to send an invitation to sign up for a new Ashtanga class, you probably wouldn’t want to target students in your Restorative yoga classes.
  • Design: Use a template that looks good on any device with any screen size. In general, a one-column design tends to look best on mobile and tablet.
  • Content: Keep your content short, engaging, and geared towards a single call-to-action (CTA). The same rules that apply for social posts apply for emails, as well.

Fortunately for yoga studio owners, there are many tools to help with marketing your studio to increase customer retention and bring in new students. For even more tips on how to better market your yoga studio, visit the MINDBODY Resource Hub.

About the Author:

With over nine years of experience, Denise Prichard is a yoga instructor and an experienced content marketing professional with a penchant for writing compelling copy and content within the health, wellness and beauty industries. She currently serves as the Content Marketing Specialist at MINDBODY.